Thursday 20 September 2012

Rrose: Artificial Light

Rrose

I don't know a thing about Rrose and I don't want to. These shadowy, slurred, hissing and creeping Industrial-House tracks are great and, moreover, the overall presentation interests me just as much as the sounds. 

Check out that picture from the label, above -it's weird, but not quite creepy enough, a suggestion of some fun is there and although it appears to foretell abandonment and darkness it's also, well, a little cheeky perhaps? I'm reminded of the Robert Rental and Thomas Leer album The Bridge...I bought that on the strength of the grey cover, name of the artists and the title that revealed nothing about its contents. 


Artificial Light plays the same trick. The side featuring our bony friend is superb, Shepard's Brine beginning as a menacingly slow thump, the track progresses into a wall of synth-strobes, drones and nagging, crunchy percussion. As with so much, I'm reminded of the glorious Bourbonese Qualk.

The flip, Waterfall, begins as a calm, atmospheric click n' shuffle fest before a strident kick sets in and allows grizzled synths to saw up and down oblivious to the central pulse. A calmer, is no less intense composition.

I'm resisting finding anything out about Rrose -is it one dude? A girl? Two guys? I don't care. I'm determined to slowly find out, probably avoiding interviews and just picking up the "12s where I can find them.

No comments:

Post a Comment