Saturday 28 April 2012

Still Corners - Creatures of an Hour

Dweem pawp

I'm really quite adverse to so-called dream pop, popgaze, shoepop, ethereal or whichever, but I was swayed into buying this because of its wonderful artwork and a sort of tug for some light indie in my life. I feel a bit dirty, as this is very Radio 2 (I think), very flash-in-the-pan and reminds me a little of groups such as School of Seven Bells and what I vaguely remember Tindersticks, Cocteau Twins and This Mortal Coil to sound like (and another band who I can't recall...). It makes me think of 4AD quite a lot, even though they're signed to Sub Pop.

I've always veered away from 4AD as a label as it appeared overly-Catholic about music that held no mystery for me at all -the whole roster (once) seemed very insubstantial, very misty and vapour-like. Dark, but not dark, murky, but not dungeon-murk. I just checked recently and they're releasing some of the best shit around and in genres/sub-genres that I like but consider otherwise unconnected: Spaceghostprrp, Zomby, Grimes, Ariel Pink and Joker (ferfuksake).

Still Corners are okay. The music is a kind of polite kosmische-rock with smoke machines, never gothic but not once silly and irreverent, Creates of an Hour has the heartbeat and heads-down jam feel of kosmische while Tessa Murray's voice, although thinly lovely, gleams like reflected light through the headfog. I'll update if I thaw to it, otherwise it's a perfectly inoffensive way to start the day, as I have done twice this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment