Monday 23 April 2012

:Wumpscut: Women and Satan First

Extra points for being repulsive!
Yeeeeah, Rudy! Thanks for that one. Artwork so repulsive it outdoes the legions of Death/Gore Metal bands strenuously attempting to produce the ultimate 'most offensive artwork ever' and missing the point with their hand-drawn pictures of babies eating their own intestines (bored of that; more naked skanks needed).

I tried to buy this in Austria with my wife but attempted to do so on the sly, so that the Mother-in-law and, well, most of the Austrian family, didn't ask "What have you bought? Let's have a look at your CD" and then think I was some kind of pervert behind my back (my German is shaky at best).

No luck. In fact, my Uncle-in-law (in his 60s) is a fan of Amazon download store and, when it was revealed that I wanted to buy a CD but couldn't find it, bought a couple of MP3s to cheer me up. So, we sat round in Graz eating our breakfast with the Mother-in-law, the Auntie, wife and Bavarian visitors (also in their 60s, heavily conservative) listening to :Wumpscut:. Not an eyelid was batted -someone enquired as to why this man was saying 'Blutsturtz Baby' so much as it was odd, but that was it.

So we tried to get it at Saturn: fail. Tried Media Markt: fail. Eventually tried Amazon.au/.de and failed because of the hideous price. Eventually my wife ordered it so it arrived in England for when we got back: fail, back-ordered. I got it from Music Non Stop in the end and realised it was roughly 10 year since my first order there! (See previous post about FLA).

First Impression
Evil, mostly, in the vein of Fuckit (which I ended up loving despite heavily dissing it online...check the Amazon reviews) which is to say we're in Dark-Electro territory, not so much industrial or noise, but that's acceptable as I think Rudy's contemporary style of Gothic-techno, divorced of industrial, is fine. His lyrics are typically awkward but sincere with some vague WWII references ("Hitler would have melted you for soap" being my favourite lyric so far) as with Schrekk und Grauss. In my opinion the interesting, complex textures and one-off sounds/movements aren't as noticeable here as with S&G but, as it says above, this is only a first impression.

I'll listen to it on the way to work tomorrow and report back. Have been greedily eyeing up the Body Census, Bone Peeler and Siamese boxes on Discogs...thought of having complete :W: collection very exciting. Listened to Cannibal Anthem (an unloved part of Ratzinger's catalogue) on the way to gym earlier and decided it is great but understated; dramatic, brooding and introverted with a touch of the mystical as with Evoke but denser, less airy mixes and high-end synths. It is as if Cannibal Anthem is grislier, filmed on 8mm and grounded in reality where Evoke is pure fantasy, prone (and able) to take flights of whimsy and imagination. I like it because it has great instrumentals.

Second Impression

24/04/2012

Listened to this on the way to work and just now for a third time. Most of these tracks I like, none repulse me at all, but none stand out yet. I like Burial on Demand though, it has some very cool percussive thumps here and there and a sort of lo-fi, crunchy looped burp noise which is ok.

What I think I really like about :Wumpscut: and that makes Rudy a fucking G is that he manages to make music that is essentially pop music, i.e. catchy and with recognisable song structures but dark as fuck.

Interesting: Grobian includes a quotation from Hitler "Here I stand with my bayonets, there you stand with your Law. We'll see which prevails." and another from a Nazi who observed the behaviour of Jews in Babi Yar who co-operated with the Nazis and eventually sped up their own annihilation, remarking "The bastards are sub-human[my emphasis]."
    The song's lyric text recalls a confrontation with a person wearing "schwarze Stiefel" (black boots), being tall and a bully or slovenly person ('Grobian' is a coarse person, a rogue). It's ambiguous stuff, more typical of the neofolk provacateurs, that lends :Wumpscut: his edge and raises this above mere dancefloor fodder.  


No comments:

Post a Comment